Reflections: A Look Back at 2017
Here we are, friends, at the end of another year. One year older. One year (hopefully) wiser. One year stronger.
2017 was such a mixture of sweet moments and also utter bullshit. I am absolutely looking forward to 2018 and accomplishing some goals (more on that in a few days). But first, I want to take a look back at the memories I made over this past year.
- Word of the Year: Boundaries
I worked really hard on saying "no" more. No to work that didn't fulfill me. No to opportunities and obligations that didn't fit my life anymore. No to allowing my self-worth to be measured by others. I said no to all of those things so that I could say yes to more of the things that light me up. Yes to self-reflection and reduced stress. Yes to being present and mindful of quality time with my family. Yes to creativity and self-care.
Healthy boundaries are important. My well-being is important. And I'm the happiest I've ever felt in a really long time. I call that a resounding win.
Sigh. You win some, you lose some. I talked about this before, so I won't rehash it all again here. But essentially, earlier this year I tried to start a podcast. I was super pumped about it and read books on how to get started and bought the equipment and downloaded the software. But I quickly found it was more of a time and money commitment than I realized.
I felt like a failure at first when I couldn't make it happen. But then I reminded myself that it was okay. I still want to do it. I will do it at some point in the future. But as part of my intention to set boundaries for myself for things that don't suit my life, I had to let it go. I'm at peace with that.
2017 was filled with amazing memories.
- We took a family trip to Florida. The boys got to go to the beach and to Legoland. They had a blast and so did we. We need to take more family trips!
- Charlie and I took a trip to Pittsburgh so that I could squeeze my beautiful friend Sarah in person. If you know me, I talk about her all the time because she's amazing and I'm glad we got to hang out! Plus, it was really cool to explore Pittsburgh because I'd never been there before.
- I got to go to a Penn State game and it was so much fun.
- The hubs and I celebrated our 10-year wedding anniversary. Time flies.
- The boys had their first experiences with team sports - t-ball and football.
- Holl & Lane Magazine had an amazing year. I'm so proud to be a part of something so wonderful and fulfilling.
- I read over 100 books this year, the most I've ever read in one year.
- One memory that wasn't so great was when my mother-in-law's house caught fire and she and my brother-in-law lost just about everything. BUT from that tragedy came the most heartwarming outpouring from family, friends, neighbors, even strangers. It truly brought everyone together and showed just how good people can be to one another. My Grinch-y heart is full. And, not even a few weeks later, we all got together and had a wonderful Christmas. Can't keep us down for long.
Anyway, thanks for joining me on my look back at 2017. Here's to a wonderful 2018. Hugs, friends.